Faculty / ResearcherScott Victor VALENTINE
Scott Victor VALENTINE
- Research Promotion Director
- Professor of Regenerative Planning and Circular Economy
Phd – Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
Doctorate of Business Administration, California Southern University
Master of Science in Environmental Management, National University of Singapore
Master of Educational Technology, University of British Columbia
Master of Business Administration, University of Adelaide
Master of Arts in Advanced Japanese Studies, University of Sheffield
Bachelor of Business Administration, Lakehead University
Prof. Valentine currently focuses on Circular Economy (CE) research with a focus on applied corporate CE strategy development and the design and implementation of municipal and national CE support policy. He is the inaugural Chair of the Australia Circular Economy Hub’s advisory board and a member of Standard Australia’s circular economy ISO standards working group. As an applied CE practitioner, he has worked with dozens of companies on CE strategy development and has advised numerous government bodies on the development of CE networks. Prof. Valentine is also an active researcher in energy policy and energy governance, authoring or co-authoring four books on energy policy and numerous publications.
Relevant Countries in Asia & Oceania:
Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Australia, Kazakhstan
Committee roles and Outreach activities:
Australian Circular Economy Hub, Advisory Board Chair
Standards Australia, Circular Economy ISO committee member
Eminent Visiting Professor, University of Brunei
Adjunct Professor, RMIT University, Australia
Circular economy tutorial:https://youtu.be/DAwEik3rMOI
Introduction to “Empowering the Great Energy Transition”:https://youtu.be/fI_uUqXSWzE
List of Selected Publications:
- Valentine, S.V., Brown, M. and Sovacool, B.K. 2019. Empowering the Great Energy Transition, Columbia University Press. ISBN: 9780231185967.
- Sovacool, B.K., Brown, M. and Valentine, S.V. 2016. Fact and Fiction in Global Energy Policy: 15 Contentious Questions, Johns Hopkins University Press (ISBN: 978-1-4214-1897-1)
- Valentine, S.V. 2015. Wind Power Politics and Policy , Oxford University Press, UK (ISBN: 978-0199862726)
- Sovacool, B.K., Valentine, S.V. 2012. The National Politics of Nuclear Power, Routledge, UK. (ISBN: 978-0415688703)
Select Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Valentine, S. V., & Sovacool, B. K. (2019). Energy transitions and mass publics: Manipulating public perception and ideological entrenchment in Japanese nuclear power policy. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 101, 295-304.
- Enevoldsen, P., Valentine, S. V., & Sovacool, B. K. (2018). Insights into wind sites: critically assessing the innovation, cost, and performance dynamics of global wind energy development. Energy Policy, 120, 1-7.
- Valentine, S. V., Sovacool, B. K., & Brown, M. A. (2017). Frame envy in energy policy ideology: A social constructivist framework for wicked energy problems. Energy Policy, 109, 623-630.
- Enevoldson, P. and Valentine, SV. 2016. “Do onshore and offshore wind farm development patterns differ?” Energy for Sustainable Development, 35(1), Pg. 41-
- Valentine, S.V. 2016. “Kalundborg Symbiosis: Fostering Progressive Innovation in Environmental Networks”, Journal of Cleaner Production. 118(1), Pg. 65-77.
- Valentine, S.V. 2015. "What Lurks Below the Surface?: Exploring the Caveats of Sea Level Rise Economic Impact Assessments", Sustainability Science, 10(1), Pg. 139-147. Sustainable Science Best Paper Award 2015, Honorable Mention.
- Valentine, S.V. 2014. "Tilting at Windmills: Gradualist Best Practice in Wind Power Policy", Energy for Sustainable Development, 22, Pg. 74-84.
- Valentine, S.V. 2014. “The Socio-Political Economy of Electricity Generation in China”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, 32(1), Pg. 416-429.
- Valentine, S.V. 2013. “Enhancing Climate Change Mitigation Efforts through Sino-American Collaboration”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, 6(2), Pg. 159-182.
- Valentine, S.V. 2013. "Wind Power Policy in Complex Adaptive Markets", Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 19(1), Pg. 1-10.
- Valentine, S.V. 2012. Policies for Enhancing Corporate Environmental Management: A Framework and An Applied Example, Business Strategy and the Environment, 21(5), Pg. 338–350.
- Sovacool, B.K., Valentine S.V., Bambawale, M.J., Brown, M.A., de Fátima Cardoso, T., Nurbek, S., Li J.K., Yang, X., Jain, A., Alhajji, A.F. and Zubiri, A. 2012. Exploring Propositions about Perceptions of Energy Systems and Energy Security: An International Survey, Environmental Science & Policy, 16(1), Pg. 44-64.
- Valentine, S.V. 2011. Towards a Sino-American Trade Organization for the Prevention of Climate Change (STOP-CC), The Chinese Journal of International Politics, 4(4), Pg. 447-474.
- Valentine, S.V. 2011. “Emerging Symbiosis: Renewable Energy and Energy Security”, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Review, 15(9), Pg. 4572– 4578.
- Valentine, S.V. 2011. “Japanese Wind Energy Development Policy: Grand Plan or Group Think?”, Energy Policy, 39(11), Pg. 6842-54.
- Valentine, S.V. 2011. “Understanding the Variability of Wind Power Development Costs”, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Review, 15(1), Pg. 3632-3639.
- Sovacool, B.K. and Valentine, S.V. 2011. Bending Bamboo: Restructuring Rural Electrification Strategy in Sarawak, Malaysia, Energy for Sustainable Development, 15(3), Pg. 240-253.
- Valentine, S.V., Sovacool, B.K. and Matsuura, M. 2011. “Empowered? Evaluating Japan`s National Energy Strategy Under the New Administration”, Energy Policy, 39(3), Pg. 1865-1876.
- Valentine, S.V. 2011. “Sheltering Wind Power Projects from Tempestuous Community Concerns”, Energy for Sustainable Development, 15(1), Pg. 109-114.
- Valentine, S.V. and Sovacool, B.K. 2010. “The Socio-Political Economy of Nuclear Power Development in Japan and South Korea”, Energy Policy, 38(12), Pg. 7971–7979.
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “The Green Onion: A Corporate Environmental Strategy Framework”, CSR and Environmental Management, 17(5), Pg. 284–298.
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “A STEP Toward Understanding Wind Power Development Policy Barriers in Advanced Economies”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, 14(9), Pg. 2796-2807.
- Sovacool, B.K. and Valentine, S.V. 2010. “The Socio-Political Economy of Nuclear Energy in China and India”, Energy, 35(9), Pg. 3803-3813
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “Braking Wind in Australia: A Critical Evaluation of the National Renewable Energy Target”, Energy Policy, 38(7), Pg. 3668–3675.
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “Disarming the Population Bomb”, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 17(2), Pg. 120-132.
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “Canada’s Constitutional Separation of (Wind) Power”, Energy Policy, 38(4), Pg. 1918-1930.
- Valentine, S.V. 2010. “Disputed Wind Directions: Reinvigorating Wind Power Development in Taiwan”, Energy for Sustainable Development, 14, Pg. 22-34.