Faculty / ResearcherShuji SHIMIZU
Shuji SHIMIZU MD, PhD, Emeritus Professor
- Executive Research Director
- General Surgery, Endoscopic Surgery, Telemedicine
|1874-1980||Medical School, Kyushu University|
|1986-1989||Research Visiting Scholar, Northwestern University, Illinois, U.S.A|
|1995-1998||Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery I, Kyushu University Hospital|
|1999-2015||Associate Professor, Dept. of Endoscopic Diagnostics and Therapeutics|
|2012-2021||Director, Telemedicine Development Center of Asia|
|2016-2021||Chairman and Professor, International Medical Department|
|2020-||Vice President (International Affairs), Kyushu University|
Dr Shuji Shimizu, M.D. Ph.D. is a general surgeon, majoring in digestive and endoscopic surgery, currently being Vice President of Kyushu University for international affairs. He served as Chairman and Professor of the Department of International Medical Department as well as the Director of the Telemedicine Development Centre of Asia until March 2021. Since 2002, he has facilitated a comprehensive telemedicine project, which has widely spread in various Asia-Pacific regions and is expanding globally.
He took a Ph.D. in 1989 with biochemical research of anti-bilirubin monoclonal antibody. In US, he isolated an acidic protein from cholesterol gallstones, which plays a key role in initiation of gallstone formation. After returning to Japan, he devoted himself in surgery where he led new types of operation called minimally invasive surgery using endoscopy, and reported many papers in clinical research mainly in the field of hepato-pancreato-biliary and gastric diseases. In 2002, he started telemedicine in a big industry-government-academia project between Japan and Korea, which soon expanded into Asia and beyond with collaboration of 1129 academic institutions in 77 countries organizing 1352 remote medical education programs as of March 2021.
Relevant Countries in Asia & Oceania:
Korea, China,Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Eastern Russia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Australia, Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, Malaysia, Singapore, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Armenia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Cambodia, Fiji, Georgia, Israel, Laos, New Zealand, UAE
Committee roles and Outreach activities:
Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), American Telemedicine Association (ATA), American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), Medical Working Group of Asia-Pacific Advanced Network (APAN), World Gastroenterology Organization (WGO)
List of Selected Publications:
- Shimizu S, Tomimatsu S, Kudo K, Ueda S, Kekalih A, Makmun D, Estiasari R, Oki AS, Moriyama T: Remote
medical education in Indonesia: Analysis of 10 years of activities.
J Int Soc Telemed eHealth, 8:e6, 2020
- Shimizu S, Kudo K, Moriyama T, et al. Telemedical education in Asia.
In: Ray PK NN, Mukkamala RR, Ahmed A, Ro SC, Soshino Y (eds): The Institution of Engineering and Technology. Pp.179-188. Mobile technologies for delivering healthcare in remote, rural or developing regions, London, 2020
- Manabe T, Takasaki M, Ide T, Kitahara K, Sato S, Yunotani S, Hirohashi Y, Iyama A, Taniguchi M, Ogawa T,
Shimizu S, Noshiro H: Regional education on endoscopic surgery using a teleconference system with
high-quality video via the internet: Saga surgical videoconferences.
BMC Med Educ 20(1): 329, 2020
- Moriyama T, Han HS, Kudo K, Sadakari Y, Moriyama T, Nakashima N, Nakamura M, Shimizu S: Role of
international tele-education with live surgery for preclinical medical students.
Proceedings of the APAN – Research Workshop 2019 48-53, 2019
- Shimizu S, Kudo K, Tomimatsu S, Moriyama T, Moriyama T, Sadakari Y, Nakashima N:
International telemedicine activities in Thailand. Siriraj Medical J 70(5): 471-475, 2018
- Ho SH, Rerknimitr R, Kudo K, Tomimatsu S, Ahmad MZ, Aso A, Seo DW, Goh KL, Shimizu S: Telemedicine for gastrointestinal endoscopy: The Endoscopic Club E-conference in the Asia Pacific Region. Endosc Int Open 5(4): E244-E252, 2017
- Kudo K, Tomimatsu S, Moriyama T, Tanimoto A. M, Villalon S, Shimizu S: Remote medical education in Latin America. TICAL 2017 267-276, 2017
- Shimizu S, Ohtsuka T, Takahata S, Nagai E, Nakashima N, Tanaka M:
Remote transmission of live endoscopy over the Internet: Report from the 87th Congress of the Japan Gastroenterological Endoscopy Society. Dig. Endosc. 28(1):92-97, 2016
- Shimizu S, Han HS, Kudo K, Houkabe Y, Antoku Y, Nakashima N:
Telemedicine: Principles and the Future.
In:Mishra PK (eds): Textbook of Surgical Gastroenterology. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 1352-1356, 2016
- Shimizu S, Kudo K, Antoku Y, Hu M, Okamura K, Nakashima N: Ten-year experience of remote medical education in Asia. Telemedicine and eHealth 20(11):1021-1026, 2014
- Shimizu S, Thomson S, Doyle G, Mandyoli S, Torata N, Ueki T, Kitamura Y, Minh CD, Antoku Y, Okamura
K, Nakashima N, Tanaka M: Live surgery broadcast from Japan to South Africa: High-quality image transmission
over a high-speed academic network.
J. Int. Soc. Telemed. eHealth 1(3): 80-85, 2013
- Shimizu S, Itaba S, Yada S, Takahata S, Nakashima N, Okamura K, Rerknimitr R, Akarabiputh T, Lu XH,
Tanaka M: Significance of telemedicine for video image transmission of endoscopic retrograde
cholangiopancreatography and endoscopic ultrasonography procedures.
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 18:366-374, 2011
- Shimizu S, Han HS, Okamura K, Nakashima N, Kitamura Y, Tanaka M:
Technologic developments in telemedicine: State-of-the –art academic interactions.
Surgery, 147(5):597-601, 2010
- Shimizu S, Nakashima N, Okamura K, Tanaka M: One hundred case studies of Asia-Pacific telemedicine
using Digital Video Transport System over Research and Education Network
Telemed J E Health, 15(1): 112-117, 2009
- Shimizu S, Okamura K, Nakashima N, Kitamura Y, Torata N, Tanaka M: Telemedicine with Digital Video Transport System over a Worldwide Academic Network. In: Martinez L, Gomez C, eds. Telemedicine in the 21st Century. New York: Nova Science Publishers; 143-164, 2008
- Shimizu S, Nakashima N, Okamura K, Hahm JS, Kim YW, Moon BI, Han HS, Tanaka M:
International transmission of uncompressed endosccopic surgery images via superfast broadband Internet connections. Surg Endosc 20(1):167-170, 2006
- Shimizu S, Tanaka M, Konomi H, Mizumoto K, Yamaguchi K:
Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery; current indications and surgical results
Surg Endosc 18(3):402-406, 2004
- Shimizu S, Noshiro H, Nagai E, Uchiyama A, Masao Tanaka M:
Laparoscopic gastric surgery in a Japanese institution: Analysis of initial 100 cases
J Am Coll Surg, 197(3):372-378, 2003
- Shimizu S, Uchiyama A, Mizumoto K, Morisaki T, Nakamura K, Shimura H, Tanaka M:
Laparoscopically assisted distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer: is it superior to open surgery? Surg Endosc, 14:27-31, 2000