Faculty / ResearcherAkira HARATA
Akira HARATA, Dr. Engineering, Professor
- Duputy Director General, Executive Education Director
- Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Applied Laser Spectroscopy
|1985||Bachelor of Engineering, The University of Tokyo (Tokyo, Japan)|
|1987||Master of Engineering, The University of Tokyo|
|1990||Doctor of Engineering, The University of Tokyo|
|1990||Postdoctoral researcher of the Japan Society for the promotion Science|
|1990||Research associate, The University of Tokyo|
|1997||Associate professor, Kyushu University (Fukuoka, Japan)|
|2003||Professor, Kyushu University|
|2012||Director, Green Asia Education Center (~2015.3)|
|2015||Dean, Faculty of Engineering Sciences (~2019.3)|
|2015||Dean, Faculty of Engineering Sciences (~2019.3)|
|2020-||Director of Research Center for Synchrotron Light Applications|
|2020-||Senior Vice President (Q-AOS, SHARE, Chikushi campus)|
AH was born in Nagano prefecture, and took Dr. of engineering at the university of Tokyo in 1990 for industrial analytical chemistry. Since May 1997, AH has been engaged Research and education mainly in the Chikushi campus, Kyushu university. AH committed as mainly education-responsible positions of a variety of MEXT-supporting program for improving graduate school education (Initiatives for Attractive Education in Graduate Schools from 2005 to 2007, Global COE project from 2008 to 2013, Program for Leading Graduate Schools from 2012, and the other global education projects). AH made a great contribution for reorganization of Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Engineering Sciences as well as the faculty of Engineering Sciences, and is currently Senior Vice President of Kyushu University for Q-AOS, SHEAR, and Chikushi campus affairs.
AH has been engaged research topics listed below.
- Laser-based analytical chemistry for ultrasensitive detection of environmentally and biologically important chemical species in a liquid phases.
- Ultrasensitive detection of non-luminescent molecules in solutions by photoacoustic and thermal lensing methods.
- Study of molecules on water by using nonlinear laser spectroscopy (second harmonic generation & multiphoton ionization), and by using synchrotron radiation.
- Cell diagnostics with a laser fluorescence and photothermal microscopy.
- Quantitative nondestructive evaluation and depth profiling of materials
Keywords: analytical molecular spectroscopy, laser chemistry, nonlinear spectroscopy, photothermal, single molecule detection, interfacial nanoenvironment, molecules on water, X-ray-ultraviolet correlation spectroscopy, and photochemical water-cleaning.
Relevant Countries in Asia & Oceania:
Australia, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand
Committee roles and Outreach activities:
- Akira Harata, Tsuguo Sawada, “Quantitative Depth Profiling with Photoacoustic Spectroscopy (PAS) Using a New Approximation Method Based on Inversion of Laplace Transform.”, J. Appl. Phys., 65 (1989) 959-963
- Akira Harata, Hiroyuki Nishimura, Tsuguo Sawada, “Laser-Induced Surface Acoustic Waves and Photothermal Surface Gratings Generated by Crossing Two Pulses Laser Beams.”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 57(2) (1990) 132-134
- Akira Harata and Tsuguo SAWADA, ”Transient Reflecting Gratings for Investigating Photothermal and Photoacoustic Phenomena Localized at Surfaces and Interfaces”, Trend in Anal. Chem., 14 (1995) 504-511
- Akira Harata, in “PhotothermalSpectroscopy and its Applications”, (Tsuguo Sawada Ed, Gakkaisyuppan Center, 1997), chapters 4 and 6, and a part of 7 (in Japanese)
- Takayuki Tanaka, Akira Harata, Tsuguo Sawada, “Sub-picosecond Surface-Restricted Carrier and Thermal Dynamics by Transient Reflectivity Measurements.”, J. Appl. Phys., 82(8) (1997) 4033-4038
- Kenji Katayama, Tsuguo Sawada, Qing Shen, Akira Harata, “Detection of Photo-Induced Electronic, Thermal and Acoustic Dynamics of a Gold Film Using a Transient Reflecting Grating Method under Three Types of Surface Plasmon Resonance Conditions.”, Phys. Rev. B, 58(13), (1998) 8428-8436
- Akira Harata, Qing Shen and Tsuguo Sawada, ”Photothermal Application of Lasers: Study of Fast and Ultrafast Photothermal Phenomena at Metal-Liquid Interfaces”, Annual Rev. Phys. Chem., 50 (1999) 193-219
- Akira Harata, Naonori Yamaguchi, “Photothermal Lensing Signal Enhancement by Transient Absorption of Photoexcited States in Liquid Solutions”, Anal. Sci. 16 (2000) 743-749
- A. Harata, “Enhanced photothermal spectroscopy for observing chemical reactions in biological cells”, in “Handai Nanophotonics, Vol. 3: Nano Biophotonics: Science and Technology”, eds. Hiroshi Masuhara, Satoshi Kawata and Fumio Tokunaga (Elsevier BV) pp. 73-92 (Total 428 pages, 27 chapters) (2007)
- Kenji Furuya, Yuko Hirowatari, Toshio Ishioka, Akira Harata, “Protective Agent-free Preparation of Gold Nanoplates and Nanorods in HAuCl4 Aqueous Solutions Using Gas-Liquid Interface”, Chem. Lett., 36(9) (2007) 1088-1089
- Makoto Makita, Akira Harata, ”Photocatalytic decolorization of rhodamine B dye as a model of dissolved organic compounds: Influence of dissolved inorganic chloride salts in seawater of the Sea of Japan”, Chem. Eng. Processing, 47(5) (2008) 859-863, doi:10.1016/j.cep.2007.01.036
- Akira Harata、”Laser Spectroscopic Analysis” (Akira Harata, Tsuguo Sawada Eds., 16 authors, Maruzen, 2009), pp.3-9, 43-58, 62-59, 173-175 (Total 179 pages)．’Ultrasensitive analysis”, “Nondestructive 3D analysis” (in Japanese)
- Akira Harata, Miki Sato, and Toshio Ishioka, “Ionization of Solute Molecules at the Liquid Water Surface, Interfaces, and Self-Assembled Systems”, in “Charged Particle and Photon Interactions with Matter: Recent Advances, Applications, and Interfaces”, eds. Yoshihiko Hatano, Yosuke Katsumura, and Asokendu Mozumder (CRC press, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton) Chapter 17, pp. 445-472 (Total 1045 pages, 34 chapters) (2010)
- Hitoshi Katae, Satoshi Hirashima, Akira Harata, “Direct detection of gradient-eluted non-labeled amino acids using micro-HPLC with ultraviolet thermal lensing”, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 214 (2010) 012122, 1-4
- KentaroTomita, Toshio Ishioka, Akira Harata, ”Development of an anion probe: detection of sulfate ion by two-photon fluorescence of gold nanoparticles, Anal. Sci. 28(12) (2012) 1139-1144
- Akira Harata, ”Toward single molecule detection of non-fluorescent species in solution”, IEICE Technical Report, 113, 167 (2013, US2013-32, 51-54 (in Japanese)
- Haiya Yang, Yasushi Imanishi, Akira Harata, “Estimating pH at the Air/Water Interface with a Confocal Fluorescence Microscope”, Anal. Sci., 31(10) (2015) 1005-1010
- Miki Sato, Yuki Maeda, Toshio Ishioka, Akira Harata, “Photoionization of environmentally polluting aromatic chlorides and nitrides on the water surface by laser and synchrotron radiations”, The Analyst, 142(23) (2017) 4560-4569, doi:10.1039/c7an01311f,
- Fatin Hazwani M. Azahar, Sourav Mitra, Akihiro Yabushita, Akira Harata, Bidyut Baran Saha, Thu Kyaw, “Improved model for the isosteric heat of adsorption and impacts on the performance of heat pump cycles”, Applied Thermal Engineering, 143 (2018) 688-700, doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.07.131
- Miki Isoda, Makoto Fukuma, Akira Harata, “Ultraviolet-Excitation Photothermal Heterodyne Interferometer as a Micro-HPLC Detector”, Anal. Sci., 35(12) (2019) 1311-1315, doi: 10.2116/analsci.19P190